November 30, 2022
We had a remarkably special Together Sunday two weeks ago and looked at this exciting equation. We are proposing that of the 11 current elders, 6 step UP-and-off and that 7 step UP-and-on to eldership. The ^ symbol denotes that, through this process, EVERYONE IN THE CHURCH can step up in various ways to live lives of MAKING DISCIPLES. This change to the eldership would significantly re-shape the age and diversity demographics of the leadership of ROL and, simultaneously, open up huge opportunities for greater fulfillment of our vision which is:
TO GLORIFY GOD
BY ADVANCING HIS KINGDOM
THROUGH PLANTING & STRENGTHENING NEW TESTAMENT CHURCHES.
Those stepping UP-and-Off eldership would still be part of ROL Eastlea/GP as their base church, but would have more far-reaching influence into other DNa churches and beyond. For example:
- Roy Chimanikire: Finances for ROL and DNa
- Gus Hulley: The Base Church Byo, DNa education
- Stu Knight: Christian Counselling Center
- Derek Landman: Courses across DNa (Alpha, Network, Marriage, Parenting etc)
- Jacob Ngandu: staying on eldership for a transitionary period up to a year, New Creation Church Byo, Kigali church-plant.
- Scott Smith: Hope City Church Byo.
The proposed new elders were all profiled with endorsement and recommendation from the current elders, with whom they have walked for the last 2 years. As they were profiled to the church we have invited further feedback on their character and gifting for eldership – ahead of potential appointment with Dave Holden in Feb 2023. They are:
Around this leadership updraught there will be many opportunities for others to engage with these situations and more. EVERYONE STEPPING UP into greater effectiveness for making disciples of all nations.
I closed Together Sunday’s meeting with a call to all River Of Lifers to please:
- Continue to Pray for all these people, their loved ones, and everyone in leadership within ROL, that we would gain momentum in proclaiming the Gospel as we should.
- Continue to Participate in attending faithfully, giving faithfully, and serving with whatever talents each has in faithfulness to The Lord
- To feedback on these proposed plans via Site Leaders, Small Group Leaders, or to me personally on the proposed changes. We are all in this TOGETHER.
Thank-you for the vibrancy of that Together Sunday and the sense of momentum across the church as so many are running with this. I look forward to all that The Lord has for us in this next phase of the ROL adventure with Him.